Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums
Mitsubishi 380 Forum -Exclusively for owners of the Australian 380 PS41
Mitsubishi 380 Forum -Exclusively for owners of the Australian 380 PS41 ->  Members cars -> 380DB -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon Only if you have registered by Email as per the instructions in the forum)

My maybe not quite so boring 380DB
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members cars -> 380DBMessage format

Kim380
Posted 12/1/2013 16:50 (#14749)
Subject: My maybe not quite so boring 380DB

2005 base model manual, purchased second hand Sept 2008 with 17,xxx k on the clock.
In near new condition, just a couple of minor scratches on the rear bumper.
Came with traction control, sunroof, tint & towbar. I removed the towbar and sold it about three years later.
Gone through 7 sets of rims so far, stock 16s then 17s, 18s, 19s, 20s, back to 17s (20s rode too harsh), now on 19s.
Bit of work to the intake and exhaust, including 90mm Galant intake snorkel, end cut off bottom resonator and connected by a tube to the passenger side fog light hole, RPW extractors, dual exhaust system, Magnaflow mufflers, Chiptorque Xede piggyback ECU tuned by SKR to run on 98 RON.
Full leather interior gradually fitted over the years, at last count 6 different types of leather, all black or dark grey.
All interior lights changed to LEDs plus some exterior lights (parkers, number plate lights etc).
Added various chrome strips inside and out, the whole theme is silver, black & chrome.
Here's some pics taken today:

(pic1.JPG)

(pic2.JPG)

(pic3.JPG)

(pic4.JPG)

(pic5.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pic1.JPG (179KB - 653 downloads)
Attachments pic2.JPG (140KB - 640 downloads)
Attachments pic3.JPG (127KB - 604 downloads)
Attachments pic4.JPG (140KB - 632 downloads)
Attachments pic5.JPG (78KB - 628 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
AB380
Posted 12/1/2013 17:46 (#14751 - in reply to #14749)
Subject: Re: My maybe not quite so boring 380DB

Hey mate, nice ride.

Where did you get the grill, it looks like all the horizontal bits are chrome and I have been looking for a replacement for the boring stock one.

How much did your duel exhaust/muffler setup barring the extractors set you back? Cheers
Kim380
Posted 12/1/2013 18:34 (#14752 - in reply to #14751)

AB,

The chrome grille is a faker, I simply stuck chrome tape on the horizontal slats.
I've been trying to find the proper chrome grill for years (2005 LX or 2006 ES) but no luck at all, every one I have tracked down has been damaged or scratched too bad.
The exhaust system has cost me several thousand $ over the years, so far I've tried seven different sets of rear mufflers and four or five different central mufflers/resonators/cats.
The problem is the RPW extractors, it's very difficult to get a good sounding but drone free dual set up with them.
I tried twin stock mufflers (like our mate John here!) but still not perfect. They seemed to cause a strange blockage & resonance in the system under certain conditions.
I had twin Magnaflow straight through rear mufflers fitted a few days ago (model 11256) but they are just a little too loud at times. In hindsight they are a bit too small (9" x 4" x 18" and I should have gone the larger 11" x 5" x 20" (model 14586) which I realised too late should fit. But the extra power and torque with the 11256's over the twin stockers is very noticeable, no doubt in my mind that straight through mufflers make a significant difference over the "tri-flow" stock mufflers. I'm now considering twin Berklee BS0655 mufflers (straight through but no drone or resonance at all), as they are very close in size to the stock mufflers and should fit on the passenger side (despite advice I've had that one won't fit on the passenger side). The Berklee is mild steel, the Magnaflow is stainless steel (and polished).
I'm considering twin Berklees over the Magnaflow 14585 because I had a single Berklee BS0655 years ago before I went with extractors and dual exhausts, and it was 'perfect'. Nice and quiet at cruise, sexy roar at wide open throttle, nice burble at idle, and absolutely no drone or resonance ever.
So my advice for a dual system without extractors is go for either the Berklee BS0655 or the Magnaflow 14586. Both cost around $140 each plus postage (cheapest place to get Magnaflow mufflers is Summit Racing in the US). Call it $340 delivered. Then fitting will cost you between $200 and $500, depending on where you go. You'll need a cut out in the bar on the passenger side and a Y-pipe just aft of the fuel tank.
Or the much cheaper way is to go with twin stock mufflers. Won't sound or go as good, but will cost a lot less seeing as you already have one!
Cashie
Posted 12/1/2013 23:00 (#14758 - in reply to #14749)

Frequent flyer Bronze

These rims really suit it, like them with the silver.
AB380
Posted 13/1/2013 00:18 (#14760 - in reply to #14749)

Thanks Kim, the Berklee does sound like what I am after. I dont want to be deafened after 3 hours on the freeway. After having a look on Summit Racing though, I am tempted by the MagnaFlow 14246. Its the same dimensions as the 12256 for about the same money but its a genuine straight through which I find enticing. Let us know how you go with the berklees if you decide on them.
Administrator
Posted 13/1/2013 14:29 (#14762 - in reply to #14749)

Frequent flyer Gold

G'day kim, I resized the pics a bit for ya, hope you dont mind.

Car looks great, love the spoiler...and those wheels, which are they?

Am coming to the Clipsal races again this year if you want to meet up, with abit of luck will have something unique to show you.
Kim380
Posted 13/1/2013 16:03 (#14765 - in reply to #14762)

Yeah, I know, the pics were taken on medium resolution setting & I should have downsized them a bit before uploading.

Hmm, wonder why you love the spoiler? Now let me guess, who did I buy it off again? It's still in perfect nick, not a scratch or blemish.

The wheels are CSA (Mullins Wheels) "Retro" in hyperblack, 19" x 8", no longer in production. Got them for a steal via eBay a few months ago, last full set in 19" from the factory.

So sorry anyone who wants the same, they don't exist any more, at least not as a full set of new ones!

Yes, it would be good to meet up at the Clipsal.
wsbtt
Posted 31/1/2013 19:19 (#14811 - in reply to #14765)

Frequent flyer Gold

Very tidy , yeah, nice wheels
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: www.380DB.com
(Delete all cookies set by this site)